Apps vs Websites in 2022
For many, a new year means New Year's resolutions, trying to shred the pounds by trying new dieting methods and having a severe case of the post-Christmas blues as we head back to work with the whole year ahead of us. However, this year has many businesses across the country asking questions about their marketing strategy. Do we need to develop with the times? Is our current strategy working? Is it time for a reset? In this article, we will be exploring the question currently on everyone’s minds - apps versus websites: the pros, the cons and the hidden agendas.
1. The Figures
We all know that figures can be misleading, however, in this particular case of apps versus websites the figures are striking and extremely apparent. In a 2020 study conducted by Jmango360, the typical mobile user spends 90% of their time engrossed in mobile applications (apps, for short) and the remaining 10% of their precious time is divided up into the rest of the internet. Furthermore, the market analysis of user activity on app stores shows that a total of 204 billion apps were downloaded in 2019! This number is nothing short of staggering and this figure is a 45% increase from 2016, showing the ever-increasing nature of the market - this is the future! (Source: App Annie)
2. The Psychological Impacts
As of March 2020, 87% of all citizens in the UK were owners of a smartphone device - this equates to over 58 million people. Now think, each of these 58 million people has a home screen, this is where they store important information they need on a daily basis - the background is a sacred photograph, it contains the most frequently used apps, their calendar, their phone, contacts, the list goes on. For many of us, our phone is essential to our everyday lives and by this fact - our home screen is one of the first things we look at as we get up in the morning, we check it religiously throughout the day and it is subsequently one of the last things we look at as we go to bed. This constant stream of information originating from the home screen leads to a constant psychological ability for your business to impact the choices of potential customers. However, this relies on the potential to make it onto a user’s home screen. And, let’s face it, the chances of a user saving a website to their home screen is remote. On the other hand, an app grants the perfect opportunity for your business to access customers and ensure they are aware of your brand, even if this is just subconscious. This concept can be applied to a wide variety of businesses. For example, online shops can boost sales; restaurants can secure more bookings, sports teams and venues can boost ticket sales, the list goes on.
3. The Cost
So, surely there has to be some drawbacks to getting apps or else every business across the UK would have one, right? This is partially true, and it comes in the form of the cost of an app. Compared to websites, apps appear to be extortionately priced. You can quite easily log on to WordPress, 123reg, Wix, or a whole host of other website builders, sign up with a free account, create a free website that is fully hosted and deployed within minutes - all of this from the comfort of your office. However, apps do not quite work the same. This is due to a number of factors. Firstly, an app is (generally) deployed to the two main app stores - the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. These two stores require apps to be written in different codes, therefore any code written has to be translated or a hybrid app structure has to be used. Secondly, the ability to run with the hardware of the phone means the app has to be a lot more complexly coded and structured compared with websites - custom functions, error logs, tracking, functions - the whole lot. These factors combined mean specialist developers are required to produce, deploy and update mobile applications. These developers also tend to come at a steep price, leading to app development projects costing tens and often hundreds of thousands of pounds, just for the development side of the app. In fact, the average cost of an app in 2021 was anywhere between £38,000 and £91,000 (Statistica). Fortunately, there is a solution available. The team at Element16 Media are able to create innovative and exciting hybrid apps to fit any budget. What’s more, the cost can be spread out into monthly fees to avoid businesses having to pay lump sums of money - something that no business wants to be having to do in their COVID recovery. So, why not explore an app for your business - starting from just £200 per month.
So, what are you waiting for? Contact us now at info@element16media and the team will be able to answer any questions you have about app building, the process or getting a bespoke app made for your business! Let’s get your venture into the app-building world underway today.